Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international natural resources company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, molybdenum, cobalt, oil and gas. We have a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. We are also the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold, oil and gas producer.
Our portfolio of metals assets includes the Grasberg minerals district in Indonesia, the world’s largest copper and gold mine in terms of recoverable reserves; significant mining operations in the Americas, including the large-scale Morenci minerals district in North America and the Cerro Verde and El Abra operations in South America; and the Tenke Fungurume minerals district in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Morenci Operations Fast Facts
- Freeport-McMoRan’s open-pit copper mining complex in Morenci is one of the largest producers of copper in North America
- Mining rates of 900,000 metric tons per day (mtd), milling rates of 115,000 mtd and crushed leach rates of 68,000 mtd
- In 2014, Morenci & Safford Mine’s direct and indirect economic impact on Arizona totaled $1.2 Billion
- To learn about the various sustainable development projects in Morenci, click here
- Morenci has several operations, such as the following:
- A concentrator that produces copper and molybdenum concentrate
- A crushed-ore leach pad and stacking system
- A low-grade run-of-mine leaching system
- Four solution extraction plants
- Three electrowinning tank houses that produce copper cathode
- A mill expansion to 115,000 mtd was completed in 2014, with an incremental annual copper production of 225 million pounds
- Ownership: 72 percent (undivided interest) FCX; 28 percent affiliates of Sumitomo Corporation